Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Secret Behind Every Great Coach

Head Coach Burt Paddock's wife Carrie gives us an inside look into her role as coach's wife.

The Secret Behind Every Great Coach…is the Wife!
I wish I could say I didn’t know what I was getting into when I married a Coach, but coming from a basketball family myself, I did.  My dad is a retired HS girl’s basketball coach and my uncle was an assistant at Purdue.  I still blame my mom for letting me go through with the marriage.  (She REALLY knew!)
My husband and I have 2 girls, Hannah and Rylee, but our family doesn’t stop there.  We have graduated players, current players and their families that we consider “our family”.  It’s hard not to welcome them into our family.  They are all amazing individuals with different stories.  It’s hard to believe we have been part of the program for four years! Most of our seniors this year were freshman (our babies), which makes this year even harder to let them go! When we were offered the position at Davenport (I say “we” because it’s always a family decision and when we don’t have to pick up and move the decision becomes easier!).  We brought James Nelson with us from Grand Valley.  We were so excited to bring him along, but with that came high expectations from James.  It didn’t matter what happened on the court it was always James’ fault.  I was definitely on James’ side and I would get on my husband for being so hard on him!  Lonnie was recruited by the previous staff, but there was something my husband saw in him but I have to say I wasn’t so sure of the little fella. (Sorry Lonnie) I would be on the edge of my seat worrying about how he would survive out there. Now my attitude has turned a complete 360, I get mad when he takes him out!  He bewilders me with his quickness and his ability to drive to the basket!  We wouldn’t be here in the final four without him.  Then there is Hump…our quiet one but wears his emotions on his sleeve! I just want to hug him every time he gets down on himself! He is so talented and has brought so many things to the team.  Our last senior Mace, I am so sad but ever so grateful to have him on our team for a year.  (Our 3 year old has become obsessed with him.)  I tell him often that I am so glad he is finally wearing the right uniform!  All the players are remarkable and always acknowledge the girls and me with a hug, high five or knuckles win or lose.  We really appreciate that more than they know!
I was asked to include in this blog about what our game day looks like at our house and specific duties I have as The Wife.  Well, game day preparations start way in advance.  I have to scout out the closet and drawers to make sure all his game day gear is ready to go.  My husband is VERY superstitious and he has his favorite game day undergarments that must be ready!  Also, I need to plan ahead so his shirts and pants are done at the cleaners on time.  (This full-time working mom of two doesn’t do ironing!)  He better not make me mad because I might add a little more starch to his shirts!  Then I pick out the outfit and get the clearance from him, of course.  Right now, he won’t wear chocolate brown, lost in that to Cornerstone.  All of those shirts are at the end of the rack and won’t see them until next year.  If they are lost in again the following year, I take them to Goodwill!   I don’t even try!  The outfit has to be all on one hanger, he never can get the pants over the hanger correctly!  As he is getting ready, I do a lot of listening and make sure everything that comes out of my mouth is worded just right (it’s a little tense).  We stay positive and focused!  Our “routine” has been the same since we have been down in Branson, but I have more opportunities to put a motherly/female perspective in the mix of things.  A lot of times I get shot down, but every once in a while I have a good idea! ;)
Lastly, I send him off with a “Good Luck, I love you and stay focused on your team!” The rest is up to him…..but I will be there cheering him and the team all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment